Traveling the world is one of the most enriching activities. When we travel, we learn how to see the world from other perspectives. We learn, for example, to savor new flavors, to hear new rhythms, to experience delight in new colors. We also discover interesting new faces and decipher incredible customs. Traveling is, in short, about growing. At the end of each trip, we return home with a suitcase full of new hopes and knowledge.
But... What happens when we do not return home? What happens when that trip goes on, perhaps, for a lifetime? Why do people abandon everything and start from zero in an unknown place? Why does one leave one´s country to start another life far away? What is the process of ongoing learning like for the immigrants?
In this video, we explore the lives of five Hispanic American immigrants in the state of Florida, United States. We look at the push factors that forced them to emigrate and how they have managed to adapt to the new political and economic system of our country. Join us on this personal and human journey, and discover with them what it feels like to buy that unforgettable one-way ticket.
SPN 3948 Spanish in the Community
Professor Antonio Sajid Lopez
Produced by the Samuel Proctor Oral History Program
University of Florida
Program director Paul Ortiz, PhD.
241 Pugh Hall,
University of Florida
Cat. No. VIDS 312 One Way Ticket 12-5-2018
UF College of Liberal Arts is pleased to offer a new scholarship for CLAS students participating in a CLAS sponsored summer study abroad program. Application information is below, please share with your students!
Fields International Scholarship Application: Apply by February 8, 2019
Overseas study can be a transformative experience that offers students valuable new outlooks on the world and enhances career possibilities. While many students show an interest in studying abroad, often financial barriers prevent students from fully undertaking these experiences. Fields International Scholars are provided a $2000 award in order to facilitate a transformative overseas experience.
• Student must be participating in a CLAS sponsored study abroad or exchange program.
• Must have at least a 2.5 UF GPA to apply.
• Must be in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
• Must participate in a Summer study abroad program that lasts at least 26 days.
• Must be taking at least 6 overseas credits.
• Must be a UF degree-seeking student.
• Students do not need to have selected a Summer study abroad program in order to apply for scholarships, but must provide proof of acceptance to an eligible program before the scholarship is disbursed.
Apply at https://www.advising.ufl.edu/beyond120/scholarships/